Tips for email after signing up for Two-Factor Authentication
After you add Two-Factor protection to your email, you may be prompted to sign in again. This is expected. Simply sign in as you normally do, and look for the notification on your device to complete sign-in.
*The Outlook mail app is the officially supported app for phones and tablets. Contact your campus ITS Help Center if any problems occur.
If you have issues with with your iphone or Apple computer mail app after enrolling in DUO, please see the instructions at the bottom of the page.
Supported Applications for Phones and Tablets
- The Outlook application downloaded from your phone manufacturer's app store
*Android: Use the MS Outlook app. Minimum Android version: Android 7.0 or higher.
*Apple Mail requires iOS 11.x+ to run. This is the iPhone 5s, 6, and higher and will work with Two-Factor but is not officially supported by Microsoft.
Supported Software for Computers
- Windows: Microsoft Office 2016, 2019 or Office 365
- NOT Supported: Office 2010, 2013
- Mac: Microsoft Office 2016, 2019 or Office 365
- NOT Supported: Office 2011
Other Software for Computers
- Apple Mail (can work) - requires macOS X 10.14 or higher. Mail on 10.13 or below will not work with DUO. *Microsoft and ITS do not provide support for Apple Mail.
- Thunderbird (can work) - requires 77.0b1 or greater, using OAuth2 with SMTP. *Microsoft and ITS do not provide support for Thunderbird.
Software that will not work following 2FA
- Gmail Application - Will no longer work with your UNL Exchange email after 2FA is required
- MailSpring - Does not currently support Modern Authentication (OAuth with SMTP)
To install Office 365 including Outlook
- The required version of Microsoft Outlook is Office 2016 or higher. If you use an earlier version, you'll need an upgrade.
- If your device is provided to you by your department please work with your tech or email firstname.lastname@example.org for support.
- For personal computers, you can install the newest version of Office 365.
- Visit http://www.office.com and sign in with your NU email address.
- Once you've signed in and approved the DUO notification, the "Install Office" button appears in the top right of your screen. Click it to start the install of the entire Office 365 suite.