Information Technology Services provides Two-Factor Authentication(2FA) technology, adding an extra layer of protection for University of Nebraska online systems. Two-Factor Authentication, provided by Duo, integrates your phone into the login process, resulting in two types of authentication to verify your identity:
- Something you know – your NUID and password
- Something you have – your phone (mobile, office or home)
Once a phone is registered with Two-Factor Authentication, attempts to access University systems that utilize this technology require a user to confirm their identity by using the Duo application on your registered smartphone, via a text message, or by answering a phone call to your registered phone number.
How to Register
1. Go to trueyou.nebraska.edu and click Login to sign into your TrueYou
2. Select Enroll in Two-Factor
3. Follow the guide to set up your Two-Factor Authentication
- Two-Factor Authentication will be required at the University of Nebraska at Kearney beginning March 23, 2020.
Why is this being done?
- Cyberattacks targeting our faculty, staff, and students are an ongoing threat and we've had a significant number of victims within our university community.
- In 2019, 81% of cyberattacks were executed by taking advantage of weak or stolen passwords.
- Two-Factor Authentication is the best way to mitigate attacks on weak or stolen passwords.
I’ve registered! Now what?
- Try to log into a University system, like Canvas. Type in your username and password and click Log In. An authentication screen will appear to provide more options.
- If you don’t receive an authentication notification, check the notification settings on your phone or restart the DUO Mobile app on your smartphone.
- Register your Android or iPhone via the DUO app for the most flexible notification options, including push notifications, text messages, phone calls or to generate one-time passcodes.
- Register the phone that you normally have with you at work, when traveling or at home. This will be your primary phone that will receive authentication notifications.
- You will need your phone and computer to register.
- It’s a good idea to register another phone in case your primary phone is unavailable.