Information Technology Services provides Two-Factor Authentication(2FA) technology, adding an extra layer of protection for University of Nebraska online systems. Two-Factor Authentication, provided by Duo, integrates your phone into the login process, resulting in two types of authentication to verify your identity:
- Something you know – your NUID and password
- Something you have – your phone (mobile, office or home)
Once a phone is registered with Two-Factor Authentication, attempts to access University systems that utilize this technology require a user to confirm their identity by using the Duo application on your registered smartphone, via a text message, or by answering a phone call to your registered phone number.
How to Register
1. Go to trueyou.nebraska.edu and click Login to sign into your TrueYou
2. Select Enroll in Two-Factor
3. Follow the guide to set up your Two-Factor Authentication
I’ve registered! Now what?
- Try to log into a University system, like Canvas. Type in your username and password and click Log In. An authentication screen will appear to provide more options.
- If you don’t receive an authentication notification, check the notification settings on your phone or restart the DUO Mobile app on your smartphone.
- Register your Android or iPhone via the DUO app for the most flexible notification options, including push notifications, text messages, phone calls or to generate one-time passcodes.
- Register the phone that you normally have with you at work, when traveling or at home. This will be your primary phone that will receive authentication notifications.
- You will need your phone and computer to register.
- It’s a good idea to register another phone in case your primary phone is unavailable.
Setting up Two-Factor on your new phone
New phone? No problem! If you recently upgraded your mobile phone to a new model, you may be wondering how to re-activate the Duo Two-Factor push notifications. To set up your new phone, choose the My Settings and Devices when you see the Duo Screen on your next login.
When adding a new device to replace one that you previously activated for Duo Push, don't select the Duo Push authentication method unless you still have the original device. If you don't have the original device, but you have a new device with the same phone number, then you can authenticate with a phone call or SMS passcode.
You can't add a new device from this page if you do not have access to any of your previously enrolled authentication devices; you'll need to contact ITS Support by calling 402-472-5700 and pressing 1.
More information on managing your Two-Factor devices is available from Duo at https://guide.duo.com/manage-devices.