The University of Nebraska is moving file storage and collaboration services from Box to Microsoft 365. This change is driven by three factors.
- Cost Savings – Box is eliminating unlimited storage for Higher Education customers. If the University were to stay on Box, the cost of maintaining file and collaboration services would be unsustainable.
- Improved Services – Microsoft 365 builds on essential file and collaboration services with SharePoint and Teams. Both tools introduce new collaboration and communication capabilities for faculty, staff, and students.
- Enhanced Security – Microsoft 365 includes security services that will enhance protection for University data beyond what is currently available with existing “Box for Research” services.
Box will be decommissioned on December 31, 2021.
Information Technology Services and Microsoft will provide several opportunities to attend virtual training sessions so everyone will have a chance to get additional familiarity with the Microsoft 365 platform.
The Microsoft 365 services that will replace Box are:
- OneDrive - a secure cloud storage service for private or shared files.
- SharePoint – a secure collaboration service for team files, web pages, and other resources.
- Teams – a secure real-time communication and collaboration service for teams with text & video chat and shared files.
Comparison of File and Collaboration Services
Additional information on these tools is available at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/collaborating-with-teams-sharepoint-and-onedrive-9ea6aa07-6e5e-4917-9267-d4d361da3dea